With Valentines Day just around the corner we've created some adorable ombre cup cakes, topped with Valentines Day heart shaped messages. These cute little cakes would make a great addition to any school class room or just as a special treat for lunch. If you are lucky, a couple may be saved for the adults in the house.
These Valentine Day Printables can be downloaded for free here. Just print, cut and get creative.
- 12 Vanilla cup cakes. - use your favourite recipe.
- 125g softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 Tbls milk
- Food colour - I've used a deep red
- Make cakes according to recipe.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and 1/2 the milk
- The mixture should be quite thick so it can be piped, add more milk if required
- Divide the mixture into 3 bowls, to create 3 shades of icing.
- Starting at the lightest icing, add a small amount of the red food colour and mix, adding more food colouring if required
- Repeat step 6 on the other two bowls of icing, adding more food colour with each bowl.
- Using a piping bag and a flat nozzle. pipe the icing starting at the outside and working into the middle. Experiment with using the three shades of red to create an ombre effect.