Christmas Crackers are an essential element on the Christmas Dinner Table. They are simple to make but do take some time to complete so put a couple of hours aside. This year we've made our crackers to match our Blue and Silver colour scheme. Have fun and be creative with the special gifts you place inside.
We hope you find this tutorial useful.
You will need:
- Cracker Paper 16 cm x 29 cm (any paper will do providing it has a strong construction)
- Cardboard tubes
- Cracker Snaps
- String / ribbon / raffia
- Tissue Paper
- Gifts that will fit in the tube
- Wrap each gift and a joke in tissue paper (see hints)
- Put three cardboard tubes end to end in the centre of the cracker paper. Roll the paper around the tubes and secure with glue. Allow to dry
- Ensure the middle cardboard tube is in the centre of the cracker paper, then slightly pull out the tube on the right, leaving a 3 cm gap between tubes.
- With your left hand on the centre tube and your right hand on the right tube, twist in opposite directions and push together at the same time. This can take some practice so you may want to try with some scrap paper.
- Cut ribbon or string and tie around the gap in the cardboard tubes.
- Insert the cracker snap and tissue wrapped gift in the other end.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 on the left hand side
- Tie the remaining end with ribbon
- I wrapped the gifts in different coloured tissue paper so I could ensure everyone received the age appropriate gift. You can glimpse the tissue through the end of the cracker.
- I used a very small piece of tape to secure the cracker snap in place
- There are lots of sources of Christmas Cracker Jokes on the Web, or you could use the Jokes I've collected.
- Cracker Snaps are available from most on-line party shops. I used The Party People
- Printable Cracker paper: Chic Party Ideas (soon available in our shop
See these Crackers in Action
- Chic Party Ideas Blog - Christmas Table, Chic Blue and Silver