As Christmas approach's I always think about making another batch of coconut ice, this may be because the weather heats up at this time of year and Coconut ice can be served chilled on a hot day, or it is the smell of coconut reminds me of many summer days covered in reef oil in a beach Either way a great simple slice to have in the recipe draw.
- Cooking oil spray or Bakels spray
- 2 cups pure icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tatar
- 395g can condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- pink food colouring
- Spray a 20cm square tin with cooking oil or Bakels spray.
- Shift the icing sugar with the cream of tatar into a large bowl.
- Add condensed milk and vanilla essence and mix until well combined.
- Add the coconut and mix well.
- Divide into two equal amounts. Add a small amount of pink food colour to half the mixture and mix well, adding more pink food colour if desired.
- Press the pink mixture evenly over the base of the tin and top with the white mixture.
- Place in the fridge to set, approxamilty 2 hours.
- Cut into small square and serve