For a simple starter on a balmy evening it is hard to look past the clean crisp flavours of a simple tomato and basil Bruschetta. The aromatic combination of vine ripened tomatoes, spanish onion and basil are a delight to the senses. Needless to say they go just wonderfully with a crisp white wine.
I serve Bruschetta on pane di casa, that has been sliced, oven toasted and lightly rubbed with a cut clove of garlic.
- 6 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped quite small
- 1 small spanish onion chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons of a good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 basil leaves sliced
- pinch salt
- ground pepper
- 1 Pane di casa bread stick
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half.
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Slice the bread roughly 1 cm thick and place on a flat tray.
- Bake Bread for about 5 - 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Place the oil and vinegar in a bowl and lightly mix.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, onion and basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bread from the oven and lightly rub with the cut garlic cloves.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the bread and serve.